Salesforce1 users have a one-stop place to find actions, so there’s no confusion about where to go to do something. The action bar and its associated action menu collect actions from different places in Salesforce1 into a single, unified home.
In Salesforce1, productivity actions, standard and custom record buttons, and quick actions appear in the action bar and the action menu (). The action bar and action menu show all the available actions for a given page.
Salesforce1 Actions in the Action Bar and Action Menu
The action bar appears in most places in the app, including the feed, groups, user profiles, dashboards and reports, standard and custom object record views, related lists, and search results. The actions that are available depend on where a user is in Salesforce1 and on how you’ve configured page layouts and publisher layouts for your organization.
Users may see some or all of these kinds of actions in the action bar (including the action menu).
- Productivity actions—The Send Email (), Call (), Map (), View Website (), and Read News () actions are available on accounts, contacts, leads, opportunities, and person accounts. The Quick Message (), Join Conference Call (), and Map () actions are available on mobile calendar events in Salesforce
A productivity action displays only if a record includes the information that the action is keyed to. For example, the Send Email action depends on the record including an email address. The View Website action requires the record to include a website URL.
- Custom and standard buttons—Buttons (such as Edit, Delete, or Clone) that are included in the Buttons section on an object’s page layout are available in Salesforce1 as actions in the action bar on record pages. If you haven’t customized the action order, the button order in the button section of the page layout is used. However, the Edit button is in a fixed position.
Custom links, custom buttons that are added to list views, and custom buttons that define the content source as URL
aren’t supported and don’t appear in Salesforce1
- Quick actions—If you add, remove, or reorder actions in the action bar in the global publisher layout or an object’s page layout, the changes are reflected in Salesforce1.
- Standard Chatter actions—Actions unique to Chatter, such as Post, File, Link, or Poll.
What are the exceptions?
- On record feeds, the Follow/Unfollow button remain in the highlights area on the page.
- On public and private group feeds, the Join Group and Ask to Join buttons remain in the highlights area, but the Leave Group button is in the action bar.
What does this mean for custom branding?
There can be only one version of a custom icon. Custom action icons that you created before Winter ’15 are still supported, but they are truncated in the action bar. To optimize your custom action icons for display in the action bar, use these guidelines.
- The icon should be 72 x 72 pixels. Use the full pixel area for the image—don’t leave spacing around the image like before.
- Make the image a PNG with a transparent background, with a file size that is less than 10k.
- Have a resolution of 72 dpi.
- Make the icon graphic white or lighter than the background color.
- Avoid heavy inner or outer shadows.
- Use simple and flat styling resembling the Salesforce1 icon family.