|Available in: Salesforce Classic
|Available in: All Editions|
Mass email not available in: Personal, Contact Manager, and Group Editions
HTML and Visualforce email templates not available in: Personal Edition
|To create or change HTML email templates:||“Edit HTML Templates”|
|To create or change Visualforce email templates:||“Customize Application”|
|To create or change public email template folders:||“Manage Public Templates”|
To view a template, click the template name in the list. The options vary depending on the template type (custom, HTML, Visualforce, or text):
- For text templates, click Edit to change the message content, subject, or merge fields.
- For custom and HTML templates:
- Change the content or merge fields of the HTML version by clicking Edit HTML Version.
All custom and HTML email templates include a text-only version for recipients who can’t view HTML emails. If you leave the text-only version blank, the text-only version is generated automatically when you edit the HTML version.
- Change the content or merge fields of the text-only version by clicking Edit Text Version.
We recommend that you leave the text-only version blank. If you leave it blank, Salesforce automatically creates the text-only content based on the current HTML version. If you enter content manually, subsequent edits to the HTML version aren't reflected in the text-only version.
- For Visualforce templates:
- Change the markup of the template page by clicking Edit Template.
- The Visualforce Attachments related list indicates which attachments are being generated through Visualforce markup.
- If the Visualforce markup references components in installed managed packages, the Version Settings related list shows the package versions of the installed packages containing the components. Some kinds of components in installed managed packages can include another class, a trigger, or a custom object.
- If the email template includes encrypted data, remember that the data is displayed as encrypted within the generated email and in the Visualforce template page. For security reasons, it isn’t displayed in plain text.
- View a sample of the template populated with data from records you choose and send a test email by clicking Send Test and Verify Merge Fields.
- Click Attach File from the Attachments related list. The attached file is included in every email based on the template.
To select a file:
- To search for files in the Documents tab, click the Search in Documents link. If you select an image logo or other graphics file, mark the document Externally Available on the Documents tab.
- Alternatively, select a file from your computer or from a document folder by choosing an option from the File Location drop-down list.
- If you have the “Manage Public Templates” permission, you can click [Change] next to the Author field to select a different author. By default, the author is the person who created the email template.
- Remove the template by clicking Delete.
- Clone a template by clicking Clone. For more information, see Clone Email Templates.
- If “Developer Mode” is enabled, see what components the template references by clicking Show Dependencies .