When creating or editing an approval process, keep in mind how approvals are compatible with other features. Before you start, draw out the steps of your approval process.
|Available in: both Salesforce Classic and Lightning Experience|
|Available in: Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, and Developer Editions|
- Associated Object
- If the approval object is a detail object in a master-detail relationship, Owner isn’t available for approval page layouts or approval post templates.
- Approval Criteria
- In approval criteria—either the entry criteria or step criteria—don’t reference expressions that resolve to random values. That way, if the criteria needs to be evaluated again, the record is evaluated the same every time.
- Compatibility with Other Features
- Flows can delete records that are pending approval.
- Design automated actions so that you can use them for both workflow rules and approval processes.
- Field Update Actions in Approvals
- An approval process can specify a field update action that reevaluates workflow rules for the updated object. If, however, the re-evaluated workflow rules include a cross-object field update, those cross-object field updates are ignored.
- Field updates that are executed as approval actions don’t trigger workflow rules or entitlement processes.
- Anticipate Errors
- Consider reviewing the content on approvals errors. That way, you can anticipate common issues and configure your approval process so that the error is less likely.