When email responses aren’t working correctly, review these common issues.
|Available in: both Salesforce Classic and Lightning Experience|
|Available in: Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, and Developer Editions|
- I’m not receiving approval requests by email.
- Here are a few possible reasons why.
- Your approval preferences opt you out of approval request emails.
- Your mail server thinks the approval request email is spam. Contact your email admin, who can check the logs of all inbound email to see if it’s being delivered, rejected, or marked as spam.
- Your email admin needs to whitelist the Salesforce email addresses that the approval requests come from.
- Email delivery time can vary based on your ISP or connection.
- My response wasn’t delivered.
- An email approval request can only be processed once. If another user has responded to the approval request before you do, you get an error.
- You must have the “API Enabled” user permission to respond to approval requests by email.
- I received an email that said, “The word used to approve or reject the item was not understood.”
- Salesforce doesn’t process replies to error emails. Reply again to the original email notification, but this time use one of the supported response words.
- I received an email that said, “You are not authorized to update the referenced object.”
- The approval request email is tied to your email address. You receive this error if you forward the request to another email address or if your email client lets you respond from multiple email addresses. Reply again to the original email notification, but this time reply from the same email address that received the email approval request.