Most companies require employees to file a PTO (Paid Time Off) request and have their manager approve it. In three phases, here's how to automate a simple one-step PTO request process using Salesforce.
|Available in: both Salesforce Classic and Lightning Experience|
|Available in: Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, and Developer Editions|
Prep Your Organization
Before creating the approval process:
- If you do not yet have a custom object to track your PTO requests, create a custom object and tab called PTO Requests. Add the appropriate fields for your PTO Requests such as Start Date, End Date, and Employee Name.
- Create an email template to notify approvers that an approval request needs to be reviewed. Direct users to the approval page in Salesforce by including approval process merge fields.
Create the Approval Process
Use the jump start wizard to create an approval process for the PTO Request custom object and specify the following:
- Select the email template you created for this approval process.
- Don't specify filter criteria. That way, PTO requests are included in this approval process regardless of their attributes.
- Select the Automatically assign an approver using a standard or custom hierarchy field option, then choose Manager.
- The jump start wizard automatically chooses the record owner as the only person who can submit PTO requests.
To let the submitter withdraw a submitted PTO request:
- Click Edit and choose Initial Submitters.
- Select Allow submitters to recall approval requests.
Wrap Things Up
After creating the approval process, add the Approval History related list to the PTO Request object page layout.
Consider adding the Items To Approve related list to your custom home page layouts. It gives users an instant view of the approval requests that are waiting for their response.
If available, use your sandbox to test the approval process, then activate it.