If you don’t create custom compact layouts for an object, all the object’s record highlight fields, preview cards, and action-related feed items are driven by a read-only, system default compact layout that contains a predefined set of fields. After you create one or more custom compact layouts, you can set one as the primary compact layout for the object. The primary compact layout is then used as the default for that object.
If you have record types associated with an object, you can override the primary compact layout assignment and assign specific compact layouts to different record types.
|Available in: both Salesforce Classic and Lightning Experience|
|Available in: All editions except Database.com|
|To customize compact layouts:||“Customize Application”|
|To view compact layouts:||“View Setup”|
- From the management settings for the object that you want to edit, go to Compact Layouts.
For Salesforce Knowledge
articles, from Setup, enter Knowledge Article Types
in the Quick Find
box, then select Knowledge Article Types
, click the name of an article type, then scroll down to the Compact Layouts related list.
- Click Compact Layout Assignment.
- Select a compact layout to use as the primary compact layout for this object.
- In the Record Type Overrides section, select one or more record types to which you want to assign a compact layout.
If you don’t have record types set for the object, you won’t see this section. If you don’t set any record type overrides, all record types use the object’s primary compact layout by default.
Press SHIFT + click or click and drag to select a range of adjacent cells. Press CTRL + click to select individual, non-adjacent cells.
Note that some record types in the list might be inactive. You can assign a compact layout to an inactive record type.
- Select a compact layout from the Compact Layout To Use drop-down list to assign it to the selected cells.
- Click Save.