|Available in: Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, and Developer Editions|
|To create or change record types:||“Customize Application”|
Before creating record types, include all of the possible record type values in your master list of picklists. The master picklist is a complete list of picklist values that can be used in any record type.
To create record types on a standard object:
- From Setup, click , then select an object.
To create person account record types, from Setup, click .
To create campaign member record types, from Setup, click
- Click Record Types.
- Click New.
- Choose Master from the Existing Record Type drop-down list to copy all available picklist values, or choose an existing record type to clone its picklist values.
When you create a new record type without cloning an existing one, the new record type automatically includes the master picklist values for both standard and custom picklists. You can then customize the picklist values for the record type.
- Enter a Record Type Label that's unique within the object.
- Enter a Record Type Name. The Record Type Name refers to the component when using the Web services API and prevents naming conflicts on package installation in managed packages.
- For opportunity, case, lead, and solution record types, select a business process to associate with the record type.
- Enter a description.
- Select Active to activate the record type.
- Select Enable for Profile next to a profile to make the record type available to users with that profile. Select the checkbox in the header row to enable it for all profiles.
If each profile is associated with a single record type, users will never be prompted to select a record type when creating new records.
- For enabled profiles, select Make Default to make it the default record type for users of that profile. Select the checkbox in the header row to make it the default for all profiles.
- Click Next.
- Choose a page layout option to determine what page layout displays for records with this record type:
- To apply a single page layout for all profiles, select Apply one layout to all profiles and choose the page layout from the drop-down list.
- To apply different page layouts based on user profiles, select Apply a different layout for each profile and choose a page layout for each profile.
- Click Save to edit the values of the standard and custom picklists available for the record type, or click Save and New to create another record type.