Customize business processes, picklist values, and page layouts for multiple groups of users.
|Available in: both Salesforce Classic and Lightning Experience|
|Available in: Professional, Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, and Developer Editions|
|To create or change record types:||“Customize Application”|Record types let you offer different business processes, picklist values, and page layouts to different users.
Create record types for various reasons, like for:
- Opportunities to differentiate your regular sales deals from your professional services engagements and offer different picklist values for each.
- Cases to display different page layouts for your customer support cases versus your billing cases.
Here’s an example of how record types can work in your org. Let’s say you have two sales divisions, hardware and consulting, and only your consulting division receives leads through seminars. You can choose to display the Seminar contact lead source for the consulting division only.
- Step 1: Manage master picklists
- Define a list of contact Lead Source picklist values that contains all of the values used by both the Hardware and Consulting divisions, including Seminar.
- Step 2: Create record types
- Create two contact record types: one called Hardware and another called Consulting. This step includes adding master picklist values to the record types.
- Step 3: Add record types to profiles
- Add the Hardware record type to the profiles for all users in the hardware sales division. Add the Consulting record type to the profiles of all users in the consulting sales division.
- Step 4: Set personal options for record types
- Allow users of both the hardware and consulting sales divisions to bypass the prompt that asks them to select a record type when creating a new contact. If you have users that create contact records for both sales divisions, they can customize their personal settings to always prompt them to select a record type.