As your business needs change, replace picklist values with more relevant alternatives. Replacing a value globally replaces that field value on all existing records.
|Available in: both Salesforce Classic and Lightning Experience|
|Available in: All Editions|
|To replace picklist values:||“Customize Application”|
For example, let’s say you have a status picklist with three different closed values, Closed-red, Closed-yellow, and Closed-green, and you want to simplify those to just one value. Replace them with the new value Closed.
If you replace a parent value in a controlling picklist, the picklist dependency on that value is lost. After replacing the parent value, re-create the dependency
using the new parent value.
- If necessary, create the replacement value in the picklist edit page. See Add or Edit Picklist Values.
- Navigate to the picklist.
- For a global picklist value set: From Setup, enter picklist in the Quick Find box, then select Picklist Value Sets.
- For a picklist on an object, go to the fields area of the object. For example, for an Account picklist: From Setup, enter Account in the Quick Find box, then select Fields under Accounts.
- Start the picklist value replace process.
- For a global picklist value set: Go to the Global Value Set Detail page by clicking the picklist name. In the Values section, click Replace.
- For all other picklists: Click Replace next to the picklist name.
- Enter the value to change, and select a new replacement value.
Replacing an existing picklist value also changes the Modified By
date and time for the record.
- To use the new value in records where this field is currently empty, select Replace all blank values.
- To update all occurrences of the value in your org’s records with the new value, click Replace. Occurrences in the Recycle Bin are also updated.
Your replace job is queued. To check the job’s status, from Setup, enter Background Jobs in the Quick Find box, then select Background Jobs. You receive an email when the job is complete.
If you replace the Stage picklist for opportunities, the Probability
, Forecast Category
, and Expected Revenue
fields are also updated with the corresponding values.