Begin by creating your solution categories. The All Solutions category is automatically created for you as the top of your solution hierarchy. Users cannot add solutions to this category or translate it.
- From Setup, enter Solution Categories in the Quick Find box, then select Solution Categories.
- Click Add Category to create a subcategory below a specific category.
- Enter the category name. Category names cannot include the backslash “\” character.
- Select a different parent category, if desired. The parent category is the category directly above this category in the hierarchy.
- Select a sort order for any subcategories you create under this category.
- Choose Alphabetical Order to sort subcategories alphabetically.
- Choose Custom Order to sort subcategories in the order you specify; see Adding and Sorting Subcategories.
- Click Save.
- After creating categories, categorize your solutions. See Categorizing Solutions. Administrators, and users with the “Manage Categories” permission, can categorize solutions prior to enabling solution categories for the entire organization.
- Then, after categorizing solutions, turn on solution category browsing on the Solutions tab. See Customizing Solution Settings.
- To enable solution category browsing for the public knowledge base or your Self-Service portal, see Enabling Public Solutions.
Editing and Deleting Categories
From the list of solution categories, you can:
- Click Edit to modify the category name, parent category, or sort order.
- Click Del to delete the category. The solutions associated with the category are not deleted.
- Click the category name to view the category details.
Adding and Sorting Subcategories
From a category detail page, you can:
- Click New to add a subcategory below the category.
- Enter a custom sort order for the subcategories.
- Edit the category to set the Subcategory Sort Order to Custom Order.
- Enter numbers in the Order column to specify the order of the subcategories.
- Click Reorder.