After you configure an external data source, synchronize it to map its tables with external objects in your Salesforce org. The content and data of external objects appear in federated search, together with your Salesforce content and data.
|Available in: both Salesforce Classic and Lightning Experience|
|Salesforce Connect is available in: Developer Edition and for an extra cost in: Enterprise, Performance, and Unlimited Editions|
Files Connect for cloud-based external data sources is available in: Professional, Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, and Developer Editions
Files Connect for on-premises external data sources is available for an extra cost in: Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, and Developer Editions
|To create an external object from an external data source:||“Customize Application”|
- Syncing creates or overwrites Salesforce external objects that map to the external system’s schema.
Syncing doesn’t copy any data into your Salesforce org or write data from your org to the external system.
- Syncing is a one-time process. If the external system’s schema is changed, the changes aren’t automatically synced to your Salesforce org. Resync the objects to reflect the changes in the external system.
- Each org can have up to 100 external objects. Syncing fails if it causes your org to exceed this limit.
- For Salesforce Connect external data sources, make sure that you read and understand the sync considerations. See Sync Considerations for Salesforce Connect—All Adapters.
From Setup, enter External Data Sources in the Quick Find box, then select External Data Sources.
Click the name of the external data source.
Click Validate and Sync, and confirm that the connection is successful.
Select tables and click Sync to do the following for each selected table.
- Automatically create a Salesforce external object.
- Automatically create a custom field for each table column that’s compatible with a Salesforce metadata field type.
The resulting external data source detail page will include a list of related external objects like this.