Here are a few tips to keep your page layouts organized and easy to use.
|Available in: both Salesforce Classic and Lightning Experience|
|Page layouts are available in: All Editions|
|Creation and deletion of page layouts is available in: Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, and Developer Editions|
- Use field-level security to restrict users’ access to fields; then use page layouts to organize detail and edit pages within tabs. This reduces the number of page layouts for you to maintain. Field-level security settings override the visible and read-only settings on the page layout if the field-level security has a more restrictive setting than the page layout.
- Remove unnecessary fields.
- Keep the number of required fields to a minimum.
- Group similar fields with sections.
- Think about the right TAB key order for each section.
- Check your layouts in Read and Edit modes.
- Add help and description text to custom fields. Use it to explain to users what data you’re looking for in the field.
- In Professional, Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, and Developer Editions, use record types to provide unique layouts for different records.
- Optimize related lists—adjust their overall order, the sorting of the records, and display of relevant columns and buttons.
- If you want to customize the user profile layout in Salesforce1, create a new layout or edit an existing layout in the User Profile Page Layouts section.
- If a dependent lookup is above its controlling field on a page layout, make its lookup filter optional or redesign the page layout. Placing a required dependent lookup above its controlling field on a page layout could confuse users who typically start from the top of the page when entering data.
- A background process periodically runs that cleans up metadata associated with deleted custom fields. This process will affect the Last Modified Date and Last Modified By fields on page layouts, record types, and custom objects.
- Salesforce recommends creating no more than 200 page layouts. Although there is no limit, it can be difficult to manage your page layouts if you have more than 200.