The daily limit for emails sent through email alerts is 1,000 per standard Salesforce license per org—except for free Developer Edition and trial orgs, where the daily workflow email limit is 15. The overall org limit is 2,000,000. This limit applies to emails sent through email alerts in workflow rules, approval processes, flows, processes, or the REST API.
After your org has reached its daily workflow email limit:
- Any emails in the workflow queue left over and not sent that day are discarded. Salesforce doesn't try to resend them later.
- If a workflow rule with an action and an email alert is triggered, only the email action is blocked.
- Final approval, final rejection, approval, rejection, and recall email actions are blocked.
- An error message is added to the debug log.
The following items don't count against the workflow email limit:
- Approval notification emails
- Task assignment notifications
- Lead assignment rules notifications
- Case assignment rules notifications
- Case escalation rules notifications
- Force.com sites usage alerts
The limit restriction is based on activity in the 24-hour period starting and ending at midnight GMT. Adding or removing a user license immediately adjusts the limit's total. If you send an email alert to a group, every recipient in that group counts against your daily workflow email limit.