|Available in: both Salesforce Classic and Lightning Experience|
|Available in: Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, Developer, and Database.com Editions|
To update a large number of records at one time, we recommend the following steps:
- Obtain your data by performing an export of the objects you wish to update, or by running a report. Make sure your report includes the record ID.
- As a backup measure, save an extra copy of the generated CSV file.
- Open your working file in a CSV editor such as Excel, and update your data.
- Launch Data Loader and follow the update wizard. Note that matching is done according to record ID. See Insert, Update, or Delete Data Using Data Loader.
- After the operation, review your success and error log files. See Reviewing Data Loader Output Files.
- If you made a mistake, use the backup file to update the records to their previous values.