OData Callout Rate Limit Considerations for Salesforce Connect—OData 2.0 and 4.0 Adapters | Salesforce
An external object references data that’s stored outside Salesforce. Access to an external object involves a callout to its associated external system. Salesforce enforces rate limits for these callouts.
|Available in: both Salesforce Classic and Lightning Experience|
|Available in: Developer Edition|
Available for an extra cost in: Enterprise, Performance, and Unlimited Editions
An org is limited to:
- 10,000 OData callouts per hour for Enterprise, Performance, and Unlimited Editions. Higher limits are available on request.
- 1,000 OData callouts per hour for Developer Edition.
To obtain your org’s limits and current usage against those limits, use the Limits resource in the Force.com REST API.
Salesforce performs an OData callout each time that:
- A user clicks an external object tab for a list view.
- A user views a record detail page of an external object.
- A user views a record detail page of a parent object that displays a related list of child external object records.
- A user performs a Salesforce global search.
- A user creates, edits, or deletes an external object record. (This doesn’t apply to the cross-org adapter.)
- A user runs a report.
- The preview loads in the report builder.
- An external object is queried via flows, APIs, Apex, SOQL, or SOSL.
- You validate or sync an external data source.
If your users or applications encounter rate limit errors for OData callouts, try one or more of the following.
- Select High Data Volume in the external data source definition. Doing so bypasses most rate limits, but some special behaviors and limitations apply.
- Run fewer SOQL and SOSL queries.
- If you have Apex code that invokes the external system, modify that code to cache frequently accessed external data that seldom changes.
- Contact Salesforce to request a higher limit.