For most actions, you can continue working on your report while the preview loads. For example, when editing a report you can drag multiple fields into the report, then create a grouping while those columns load.
The data you see in the Preview panel is real data, but it’s only a subset of the data in the report, designed to show you what the report will look like when you run it. Don’t worry if rows are missing or not sorted as expected in the Preview panel.
For each external object in the report, your org calls out to the external system each time the preview loads. If the URL length of a report callout approaches or exceeds 2 KB
, your org splits the request into multiple HTTP calls, with each URL being less than 2 KB.
You can continue working in the report preview while the following actions occur:
- Add, remove, or reorder fields
- Add or remove summary fields
- Add, remove, or reorder groupings
- Remove formulas
- If you remove a summary field or formula used in a chart, the chart reloads, but the report preview loads asynchronously.
- Asynchronous loading isn’t available for matrix and joined reports.
You can’t work in the report preview while the following actions occur:
- Add or edit formulas
- Remove a report's only grouping
- Remove a column used to limit the row count for a tabular report
- Sort the report by group or column
- Update standard or custom filters
- Change report format
- Show or hide report details
- Add or remove a chart
- Add or remove conditional highlighting
- Change Group Dates By
- Change a converted currency field
- Save the report