The most direct way to enable notifications to a distribution list is to create a Workflow. If you're using an edition that doesn't support Workflows, create an Assignment Rule to notify the owner by email.
1. Click Setup.
2. Under "Build," click Create | Workflows & Approvals | Workflow Rules.
3. Click New Rule.
4. Select Leads then click Next.
5. Enter the Rule Name.
6. Set the Evaluation criteria to Only when a record is created.
7. Specify the Rule Criteria (ex. Lead Source EQUALS Web) .
8. Click Save & Next .
9. Click Add Workflow Action and select new Email Alert.
10. Enter the description of the email alert.
11. Select which Email Template to use.
12. Specify the recipients of the Email.
13. Click Save.
14. Click Done.
15. Click Activate.
NOTE: For Editions that don't have workflows available, create Assignment rule to have the new owner notified.