Standard mail merge requires:
* Internet Explorer 7, 8 or 9. (We don’t support Google Chrome Frame™ plug-in for Internet Explorer because the ActiveX controls required for mail merge are supported in Internet Explorer only.)
* Microsoft Word 2003 or 2007
* Microsoft Windows XP or Windows Vista (32-Bit Only)
If the mail merge function is not working in IE8, the chances are the Active-X control is not running properly. Please follow the steps below, restart IE8, and try it again:
The mail merge functionality in salesforce.com requires users to first download the salesforce.com mail merge add-on for Microsoft Word.
To download the add-on, your browser must be configured to accept ActiveX controls and you must have administrator access to download to your machine.Follow these steps to enable your browser to accept and run ActiveX controls:
1. Click Tools | Internet Options to open the Internet Options dialog.
2. Go to the Security tab.
3. Click the icon for the Internet zone, then click Custom level.
4. In the “ActiveX controls and plug-ins” section, select Enable or Prompt for the following settings: “Download signed ActiveX controls,” “Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins,” and “Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting.”
5. In the “Downloads” section, select Enable for the “File download” setting.
6. Click OK.
7. Repeat the custom level settings above for the Trusted sites zone.
8. Ensure that salesforce.com is a trusted site by clicking the Sites button and looking for https://*.salesforce.com in the list. If it is not there, type https://*.salesforce.com in the text box and click Add. Click OK.
9. Go to the Advanced tab of the Internet Options dialog.
10. In the Security section at the bottom of the Settings box, confirm that “Do not save encrypted pages to disk” is blank and does not have a check mark.
11. Click OK.
12. You may need to restart Internet Explorer for your changes to take effect.
If you use Internet Explorer 7.0 or 8.0, the first time you perform a mail merge, the popup message Exception: Automation server can’t create object may occur. You can disregard this message. Click OK to close the popup and proceed with your mail merge.
If it still does not work, we may have to install the Active-X control directly to your PC manually using an MSI file.
You will need to have administration rights on your PC and best would be course it through IT help desk. Fixing the active-x control will ensure that your browser is capable of handling the merge without running into Active-X related issue
The standard mail merge function will not work with Firefox. You can request for free the Extended Mail merge function. This function would also allow you to perform a mass mail merge. It works differently in that once you select the template, it e-mails you the merged document, rather than display it in the browser. Extended mail merge will also avoid the error message you receive.
If the steps above do not work to resolve your issue, or you would like Extended Mail Merge activated, please log a case with customer support.