To setup a Workflow Rule that triggers actions to occur at a specific time such as at the end of the business day use the process below:
- Create a Date field on the object that the Workflow will be associated to. Be sure to give this field a descriptive label as we will be referring to it in later steps. This field does not need to be available on any Page Layouts.
- Setup your Workflow Rule with criteria as normal. As we will be creating Time-Dependent Workflow Actions you may NOT select "Every time a record is created or edited" within the Evaluation Criteria section.
- In addition to any other Workflow Actions create the following two actions:
- Immediate Workflow Action: Field Update the Date field setup above in step 1 with the value TODAY().
- Time-Dependent Workflow Action: Set your action to occur N Hours After the Date field setup in step 1 above, where N is the number of hours between midnight within your org's Default Time Zone and the time you wish for the action to take place.
- You can find your organization's Default Time Zone at the following location: Setup | Company Profile | Company Information.
- Example 1: If you would like for an e-mail to be sent out at 5:00pm EDT, and your organization's Default Time Zone is set to Eastern Daylight Time then X would be 17 hours after the Date field)
- Example 2: If you would like for an e-mail to be sent out at 5:00pm EDT, and your organization's Default Time Zone is set to Pacific Daylight Time then X would be 9 hours after the Date field)
- When complete Activate your Workflow Rule and verify that it functions as expected by reviewing the Time-Based Workflow queue: Setup | Monitoring | Time-Based Workflow.