- Consultants do the project management for the customer (define what tasks need to be done & in what order, the timeline, the resources needed, etc).
- Support does not normally handle project management; the customer would be responsible for managing what cases need to get filed, in what order and when. A consulting engagement saves the customer time & effort because this legwork is managed by the consultant, whereas in support it is not.
- Consulting can design a company’s business process and map requirements into Salesforce Terminology. They do an depth analysis of business processes and requirements, can configure the app, do data migration and training for the customer’s org. They then create a project plan and manage towards it to complete the project.
- Premier Support can take the pre-defined process and requirements and build them into the application. Via cases, they can configure the app for the customer, build reports, essentially take any action under the “Set-Up” tab in the application. Support does not do training or org migrations.
- Consulting Projects generally have one person executing & overseeing all pieces of the project work from one viewpoint, with an overall knowledge of how each activity/piece relates to the other.
- Support utilizes first available rep to execute requests as they come in. That means if there are multiple cases filed to complete the project, there will/can be multiple people completing their case /piece of the work. Since project work is broken out to specific task based cases, the case worker could lack that overall project knowledge the consultant would have.
Time Bound Deadlines:
- Consulting Projects can be time bound and delivered according to an established deadline
- Support cases cannot be bound to a deadline; the cases will be completed by SLA and complexity. Because of this, managing a project (via cases) towards a deadline/tight timeframe can be difficult.
Configure vs. Custom:
- Consultants can manipulate apex triggers, classes and visual force pages. They have contracts in place which provide an initial support period for the work. The code ownership is transferred to the custom afterwards.
- Premier Support cannot generally modify these items as we do not want to be held accountable should they have issues due to future upgrades etc.
- Consultants can manipulate data files for org migrations and do data clean-up as part of the consulting engagement contract.
- Premier Support cannot manipulate data; the customer would be responsible for cleaning up any formatting errors and submitting the file to Premier.
Nevertheless, Premier Support can execute tasks, an unlimited number of tasks, related to any action from the “Set-up” tab in the customer’s org. Premier can also create unlimited reports and dashboards based on the customer’s specific requirements. These are big value adds for our customers because these are generally time intense tasks that we perform for the customer- but again- we need direction from the customer on what they want in the application (which goes back to a solid process being in place). Also, once a general process is in place, Premier Support can help make configuration tweaks (update/edit/add fields, workflows, objects, etc) and recommendations on how to improve the configuration as the customer grows and their business needs grow.