When users begin a trial or subscription with Salesforce, their organization comes with a set of "dummy data". This data includes Accounts, Contacts, and Opportunities. The dummy data is included to demonstrate Salesforce functionality.
To delete the dummy data to ensure that it is not confused with real data, follow the steps below:
If your organization is still in "Trial," you can delete all data by clicking on:
Setup | Administration Setup | Data Management | Delete All Data.
The Delete All Data tool will delete ALL data within your organization. Once deleted, this data cannot be recovered. Do not use this link unless you wish to delete all data.
System Administrators of both Trial and paid subscriptions can Mass Delete data. To mass delete only dummy data, follow the steps below:
1. Locate a dummy record (any Account or Contact will do). Find the "Created By" stamp on the Page Layout. Copy the date and time. All dummy data is created at the same time (the time at which the org is created).
2. Click on:
Setup | Administration Setup | Data Management | Mass Delete Records.
Select a type of Record that you wish to delete, such as Accounts. Review the notes that let you know what records will be deleted.
3. Under Step 3, enter a filter that says Created Date equals [paste the Created Date from the dummy record].
4. Review the conditions of Steps 4 and 5, then click "Search".
5. All records that meet the criteria that you entered will be returned.
6. Scan the list to confirm that you would like to delete all of the records listed. Check the box next to all records that you would like to delete (click the select all link to select all records), then click "Delete".
7. Repeat this process for other types of records you'd like to delete.