How do I get custom links on the home page to open in a new window?
|Knowledge Article Number||000005690|
|Description||How do I get custom links on the home page to open in a new window?|
|Resolution||The standard custom link component on the home page is different than those that can be created as custom components on other tabs. The links on the home page do not have options that can be configured and by default open in the same window with no option to change. To work around this, a custom component can be created that will display the custom links and replace the standard component on the home page.
I. CREATE CUSTOM LINKS
1. Browse to: Setup | App Setup | Customize | Home | Custom Links
2. Click 'New' to add a new link and follow the on-screen prompts.
II. CREATE CUSTOM COMPONENT
1. Browse to: Setup | App Setup | Customize | Home | Home Page Components
2. Under 'Custom Components', click New.
3. Name your component that is easily identifiable such as "Links". It is recommended not to name the component "Custom Links" as the standard component is named the same and can be confusing when editing the page layout.
4. Set the component Type as 'Links', click Next.
5. Choose the links created in Section I you would like to make visible within the component, hit Save.
III. HIDE STANDARD COMPONENT AND SHOW CUSTOM COMPONENT ON HOME PAGE
1. Browse to: Setup | App Setup | Customize | Home | Home Page Layouts
2. Hit 'Edit' next to the layout you'd like to change.
3. Under the 'Select Narrow Components to Show' section, uncheck 'Custom Links' which will hide the standard custom links component.
4. Under the 'Select Narrow Components to Show' section, check 'Links' (or the name you gave the component in Section II step 3) to show the new custom component.
5. Hit 'Next' and then 'Save'.