How to change Customer Portal users from Limited to Unlimited (dedicated) licenses
|Knowledge Article Number||000007211|
|Description||How to change Customer Portal users from Limited to Unlimited (dedicated) licenses|
|Resolution||BACKGROUND: Customer Portal users who are assigned Limited licenses belong to a pool of users who are limited to a maximum number of simultaneous logins. User X will or won't be able to log in depending on how many other Limited Customer Portal users are currently logged in.
You can also purchase custom unrestricted Customer Portal licenses. Each user with this dedicated type of license will always be able to login, no matter how many other users are connected.
QUESTION: How to change a group of Customer Portal users from Limited to Unlimited (dedicated) licenses?
The salesforce.com System Administration can perform the following steps.
1) On the first day the Unlimited licenses go into effect a new standard profile will become visible in the profile list:
- Old standard LIMITED Customer Portal profile: "Limited Customer Portal Manager Custom"
- New standard UNlimited Customer Portal profile: "Customer Portal Manager Custom"
To view profile list: Setup | Manage Users | Profiles
2) Clone the new profile to make customizable copy:
- Will automatically have the unlimited/custom Customer Portal user license: "Customer Portal Manager Custom"
- Give it the permissions you want throughout the profile
NOTE: You must clone the profile with the LICENSE you want, not the perms you want
3) Change users that currently have the Limited Customer Portal license profile(s) to the new UNlimited custom Customer Portal profile
4) Check the User record "User License" field as well (upper right) and set if needed
To change user profiles en masse, you can use the Data Loader:
IMPORTANT: First EXPORT all users, all fields and set aside CSV as a backup.
1) Data Loader "EXPORT" profiles: All profiles, all fields
2) Data Loader "EXPORT" users you want to change:
- Object: User
- Include ID, ProfileID, Profile Name (if you can),
- Criteria (SOQL): particular user id's or particular profile, etc (you choose how to select which users)
3) Modify that CSV file:
- Change ProfileID on users to change to new ProfileID (with new license)
IMPORTANT: Test on ONE user first before doing for large group
4) Data Loader "UPDATE" users:
- Object: User
- Use modified CSV file
- Map fields: (User)ID and ProfileID
IMPORTANT: Test on ONE user first before doing for large group (make CSV copy with just one row)
The key to all this is the new profile you'll see on the first day of the Custom Customer Portal contract which will have the new license which can be copied to other customized profiles using the profile [Clone] button.