How can I mass transfer records using the Data Loader?
|Knowledge Article Number||000176061|
|Description||At the moment, there are certain records that cannot be transferred in bulk to other owners by using the Mass Transfer tool in Salesforce. A few examples are Opportunities, Cases, and Activities. To process a mass transfer for records that fall under these object categories, you would have to use the Data Loader. Here's how:
Part 1: Exporting the User IDs
1. Start the Data Loader and use the Export function.
2. Log in using your credentials (including Security Token, if needed).
3. On the Object selection page, choose User.
4. Set a directory to where the export file will be saved and click Next.
5. On the field selection pane, choose ID and Name. This means that only the user record ID and name will be included in the export.
6. Click Finish. This will create the first CSV file.
Part 2: Exporting the Records to be Updated
1. Use the Export function on the Data Loader.
2. On the Object selection page, select the type of record to be updated (e.g. Opportunity).
3. Set a directory to where the export file will be saved and click Next.
4. On the field selection pane, choose ID, Name, and Owner ID.
5. Apply the following filter:
Value: The User record ID of the current record owner.
6. Click Add Condition
(Note: If you intend to add multiple filters, you may add another, but it will automatically use the AND function for all criteria you add. To address this, manually change the AND value on the formula box and replace it with a different function such as OR)
7. Click Finish. This will create the 2nd CSV file.
Part 3: Preparing the CSV file
1. Open the CSV file containing the IDs, Names, and Owner IDs of the records to be updated (CSV file created in Part 2).
2. Replace the Owner ID values with the User ID of the new record owner. Use the CSV file from Part 1 for reference to identify users and their Ids.
3. Save the CSV when the Owner IDs have been replaced with the new Owner ID values. This will be the file to be used for the update.
Part 4: Updating the Records
1. Use the Update function in the Data Loader.
2. Select the type of record to be updated (Opportunities) and select the file to be used for the update. When done, click Next.
3. Click OK on the confirmation pop-up.
4. Click Create or Edit a Map. On the field mapping page, match the CSV column headers with the Salesforce fields. When done, click OK.
5. Click Next.
6. On the final page, select a directory to where the error and success files will be saved. When done, click Finish. Click Yes on the final confirmation pop-up.