Updating and Deleting Recurring Activities Using Dataloader
|Knowledge Article Number||000181362|
|Description||This article provides step-by-step instruction on how to Update and Delete Recurring Activities using the Dataloader|
|Resolution||Step 1) Log into Data Loader and select Export All. (I used Dataloader 25 for this example)
Step 2) Select Task or Event, depending on which type of Activity you're deleting / updating.
Step 3) Enter in the name for your export and select the location it will be saved to. (make sure the file extension is saved as a .CSV file)
Step 4) Click the Next button.
Step 5) Select ID, OwnerID, and RecurrenceActivityID.
Step 6) Add your Where Clauses (Filter Criteria) and click Add Condition. **This will differ each time depending on your specific Case (ie..Update/Delete only from Specific Owner, Related To, or Date/Time)** For this specific example, our criteria is the Activities are owned by a specific user.
7) Click the Finish button.
8) Open your extract file and it should something like this.
9) Select the RECURRENCEACTIVITYID column and click the Remove Duplicates button from the Data tab.
10) Select the Continue with the current selection and click the Remove Duplicates button.
11) Click the Okay button.
12) After the duplicates have been removed, the RECURRENCEACTIVITYID column should now only contain 1 of each of the unique ID's. The ID's remaining in the RECURRENCEACTIVITYID column are the only ID's you will need to update/delete. By updating/deleting these IDs (Parents), the subsequent recurring activities (children) will also be affected. The extract file should end up looking similar to this:
13) Once you have gotten to this step, you can use the ID's from the RECURRENCEACTIVITYID column and create your backup file by adding the following query to your Data Loader extract:
WHERE id IN ('First ID','Second ID','LastID')
**Also to note, be sure your last ID does not have a comma after the last single quote.
**Also to note, if you have a large amount data that you’re backing up, you may want to just export everything using OwnerID, AccountID.
**When Updating / Deleting Recurring Activities, always set your Batch Size to 1 and make sure Bulk API is not enabled.