What Is the Change?
*Currently targeted for June 2015; date subject to change
- With our Summer ‘15 release*, Salesforce will no longer support IE7 and IE8 browsers.
- Microsoft originally announced they would end support for IE7 and IE8 on or before January 2015. However, Microsoft subsequently amended its policy which can be found here.
- Despite Microsoft’s amendment to its support policy, Salesforce will continue its original plan to end support for IE7 and IE8 browsers with the Summer ‘15 release.
What does this mean to me?
Why are we ending support for IE7 and IE8?
- If you continue to use IE7 and IE8 browsers after the Summer ‘15 release*, some features/functionality may no longer work in IE7 and IE8 browsers.
- Bugs or performance issues that appear only when using IE7 and IE8 will not be investigated or fixed by Salesforce after this release.
As we evaluate which browsers to support, we consider which ones will give our users the best experience and enable us to focus on areas that will add the most value for customers. There are three key reasons that drove this decision:
- IE7 and IE8 are less secure. Trust and security are incredibly important to us at Salesforce. There have been multiple security vulnerabilities discovered in these older browsers over the years, so we are upholding our commitment to trust by ending support for these less secure browsers.
- IE7 and IE8 are not HTML5 compatible. IE7 was first released in 2006, and IE8 was released in 2009. These browsers do not support the rich internet apps our customers have come to expect, including HTML5, which is the new industry standard and the technology we are investing in moving forward. HTML5 supports mobile devices; doesn’t rely on plug-ins; and provides a faster customer experience.
- Our customers are moving to newer browsers. Less than 5% of our customers are using IE7 and less than 16% are using IE8. Our customers are trending towards newer browsers, and we want to develop features that best serve our customer community.
For additional information on supported browsers, check our browser support policy.
How can I determine which of my users are still on IE7 and IE8?
- As an administrator, you can run a login history report to gather details on the recent browser usage of your users, including IE7 and IE8 users.
- After logging in, click Setup | Manage Users | Login History to run a usage report for your organization for the past six months.
What will happen if I don’t take action?
- While users may still be able to access the service from IE7 and IE8 after the Summer ‘15 release, new and/or existing features and functionality may no longer work in these browsers.
- In addition, bugs or performance issues that appear only when using IE7 and IE8 will not be investigated or fixed by Salesforce after this release.
How can I get more information?
- Salesforce Support is always available to answer any questions you may have about this change.
- If you have further questions, please log a case on the Help & Training portal.
Any unreleased services or features referenced in this or other press releases or public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase Salesforce applications should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available.