- Eclipse - Supports 4.3 (works with 4.4 also)
- Java 7
- Tooling API used to do interactive saves (save as you go instead of a full deploy)
- New Parser added
- New Compiler (coming soon)
- Performance fixes when downloading metadata
- Will be open source utilizing github
The Different Versions!
- The Current Supported Release Build
- Fully supported by Salesforce
- Work in Progress Version
- Master branch will be current "working" version
- Will become Current Supported Release Build when all validation and testing has been completed
- Previously Supporter Versions will remain available for download
- Did you like an older version of the Force.com IDE for Eclipse Open Source Project? Then you'll be able to access it from github
- Customer created/modded versions will be available
- Customers will be able to design and share their own features, mods and changes to the open source project and all of these will be available via github
- Contributor License Agreement required for anyone that wants anything accepted into the Support Release Build.
- Tooling API in the New Plugin is not used when you are "working offline"
- If you set it to work online, every time you save a class it will use the tooling api to auto-save your classes in salesforce running all validation (expect errors!)
- Large orgs working online may have performance issues
Best Practices / Advice on making Changes
- Testing the Plugin
- Unit test all your changes
- Run on your own orgs and run on a trial/free org for any scenarios applicable
- Org Builder - An internal tool used internally in Salesforce that runs tests against 300+ orgs with varying implementations (Eventually available to everyone)
After you've done your unit testing you can submit your github pull requests for review.
What Can I Do?
- Bug Fixes
- Minor Features
- Feature Enhancements
- Big Features
- Submit ideas (and then implement them!)
What will be Accepted into the Supported Release Build?
- Bug Fixes
- Minor features
- Features Already On Our Backlog