Salesforce for Outlook Installation Diagram
|Knowledge Article Number||000220050|
|Description||Salesforce for Outlook installation process.|
Before you download and install Salesforce for Outlook (SFO), visit the SFO System Requirements page to make sure your system meets the minimum requirements.
Changes in Salesforce for Outlook Installer
Before you install, uninstall, or upgrade SFO, make sure you understand the differences between different versions.
1. Installation Per-Machine vs Per-User (This is the detail explanation of the big orange box in the diagram)
“Per-Machine” as known as "Everyone who logs in to this computer", installation is performed to allow all registered users of the computer to access and use the application.
“Per-User” as known as "Me Only" installation is performed for the single user that is executing the SFO Setup – it is not available for use by any other user of the computer. For instance, if user A logs into his machine and installs SFO using this option and logs off then user B logs into the same machine. User B will need to install SFO again to be able to use it.
2. Who can install the application (Who - user permission and their Windows profile, Local Administrator, etc)
3. The location of the installation folder in each version
4. The location of the log files and user database in each version
* If you install SFO for the very first time on your machine, using the "Me Only" Option the installation folder would
PrerequisitesSalesforce for Outlook (SFO) installer is available to download in 2 formats, .exe and .msi.
Prerequisites must be installed before installing SFO by a Local Administrator or a System Account.
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.x
You can download this from Microsoft or the installer will prompt you to download and install it when you run the .EXE
The .MSI wont check for any prerequisites and iyou must always try to install using the .EXE file uness you know how to use the ,MSI version.
SFO v3.0.x and later will require Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 or later
VSTO - Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Office Runtime 2010
Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office system (Version 4.0 Runtime) This only installs the bitness matching your Operating System. If you have Windows 7 64bit, then you only need to push out or install the 64bit MSI. The downloaded file is in the .EXE format which can be run manually as is on the computer by a Local Administrator. You can also use the /Extract switch to get the MSI version if you would like to deploy it using automation. You can also use this link from Microsoft to download it.
PIA - Primary Interop Assemblies (PIA) redistributable package
is tied to your installed version of Microsoft Outlook. This is already packaged with our SFO .EXE version for Outlook 2007 and 2010. You can easily extract it if needed. The PIA is only needed if you have Outlook 2007 or 2010. For Office 2013 and later users, this is part of Office .Net Programmability support that can be installed as an add-on feature with Microsoft Office. SFO installation will fail if this is not installed. Refer to Salesforce for Outlook installation fails
** For Click to Run versions or Office 365, an Online Repair will make sure this feature is installed.
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable (Both bitness will be installed on your machine x86 (32 bit) and x64 (64 bit))
Heads up - Please note that these links are from Microsoft's websites. If at anytime the links are moved or broken, you can always search for them on Microsoft website
Use the /Extract switch
1. Click on Start and type in CMD
2. Once you see the CMD in the application list, right click on it and click on "Run as Administrator"
3. In the Command Prompt (CMD) navigate to the directory that contains the executable file (the .exe) such as SalesforceForOutlook.exe or vstor_redist.exe (VSTO downloaded file) and use the command below:
1. Lets assume you have downloaded the VSTO - vstor_redist.exe file in the c:\setup folder
2. In the Command Prompt type in CD \setup and press Enter to change directory and enter the Setup folder. The prompt will change to C:\Setup >
3. Now you are inside the new Setup folder that contains the vstor_redist.exe file
4. Type in vstor_redist.exe /Extract and press enter
5. A pop up window will open and show you the extraction process
6. In that folder you should find many files and folders, including the MSI version of the VSTO
Install Salesforce For Outlook