|Currently it is not standard functionality to allow the Comment section of the Tasks to show in the Activity History or the Open Activity, the workaround to allow the comments to show on the related list is:
Setup> Customize> Activities> Activity Custom Fields
- Click New
- Select the Text field
- Clicked next
- Naming the field (Notes), click Next
- Then save.
To create the workflow you would go to:
- Setup> Create> Workflow & Approval
- Clicked Workflow Rules
- Click the New Rule button
- Select the Task Object, click next
- Name the workflow rule
- Set to Evaluate the rule when a record is created, and every time it’s edited.
- Set the criteria to:
Operator: Not Equal To
Then go to the Page Layout of the Object that you require the field to show on the related list, then:
- Then click Save and Next
- In immediate actions
- Click the drop down Add Workflow Action and select Add Field update
- Name the field update
- Click the field drop down and select the custom field (Notes)
- Select to update with a formula and then added the formula IF(LEN(Description)>255,LEFT(Description,252)&"...",Description),
- Click Save, and click Done
- Click Activate
- Scroll down to the Activity History or Open Activity Related List.
- Click on the Wrench.
- Find the field (Notes) in Available fields.
- Select the Field and click Add.
- Once added click the up and down arrow to position the field on the related list (Optional).
- Click OK, then the field will be visible in the related list
Task ‘Comments’ field is a Long Text Area field which will have more than 255 characters, the formula ‘Note’ field will only show first 255 characters from the standard ‘Comment’ field.