How to count the number of values selected in multi-select picklist field
|Knowledge Article Number||000221353|
|Description||This Formula will help us to count the number of values selected in multi-select picklist
An insurance company is selling various insurance packages:
Retirement insurance plan
Equity fund plan
Vehicle insurance plan
Mortgage based insurance plan etc.,
If a customer is interested in more than 3 product the company would like to send a senior consultant as the deal can be potentially higher
All these plans are stored as a Multi select picklist
Use Case is an example scenario where the formula can be applied but the requirement will vary depending on organization's need.
|Resolution||Below is the formula to calculate number of values selected in multi-select picklist
Navigate to the fields area of the appropriate object.
1. For standard objects, from Setup, click Customize, select the appropriate object, and click Fields.
2. For custom objects, from Setup, click Create | Objects, and select one of the custom objects in the list.
3. In Custom Fields & Relationships, click New.
4. Choose the Formula as the type and click Next
5. Enter a field label(Salesforce populates Field Name using the field label)
6. Select the Formula Return Type as Number
7. Choose the number of decimal places as 0
8. Select the Advanced Formula
9. To insert a function, double-click its name in the list, or select it and click Insert Selected Function
IF(INCLUDES( Multi_Picklist_Field__c , "Value A"),1,0) +
IF(INCLUDES( Multi_Picklist_Field__c , "Value B"),1,0) +
IF(INCLUDES( Multi_Picklist_Field__c , "Value C"),1,0) +
IF(INCLUDES( Multi_Picklist_Field__c , "Value D"),1,0)
10. To check your formula for errors, click Check Syntax and Save.
Note: As the list is updated so does the formula need to be.