How to capture a previous value of a field.
|Knowledge Article Number||000228074|
|Description||Can a workflow email be sent based on the previous value of a field?
Use Case: Company 'XYZ' has a contract with a customer with entitlement end date of 30/12/2015 and the end date extends for some reason to 1/1/2016.
Requirement is to send an email to the company's designated contact stating that the entitlement end date has been changed from 31/12/2015 [old close date value] to 1/1/2016 [new close date value].
|Resolution||Creating a Workflow Rule would help in capturing the previous value of the field.
STEP A. Creating a Text Field: Create a TEXT(255) field on the Object and name it say: Old 'Field_name' Value
STEP B. Setting up the Workflow Rule with Field Update action
1. Go to Setup | Create | Workflows & Approvals | Workflow Rules
2. New Rule
3. Select the Object
4. Click Next
5. Evaluation Criteria: created and every time it's edited
6. Rule Criteria: formula evaluates tor true
8. Click Save & Next
9. From under Immediate Workflow Actions, click Add Workflow Action to select Field Update
10. Select the Field to Update: Old Picklist Value
11. Select Use a Formula to Set the New Value
13. Click Save
14. Click Done
15. Click Activate
STEP C. Create an Email template with merge fields including 'Field_name' and Old 'Field_name' Value in the template text body, these fields will be replaced with information from your records.
The entitlement end date has been changed from 31/12/2015 [old close date value] to 1/1/2016 [new close date value].