Salesforce Chatter for SharePoint to Retire in Spring ‘17
|Knowledge Article Number||000239793|
1. What is the change and when will it happen?
With the Spring ‘17 release*, Salesforce Chatter for SharePoint, a SharePoint plugin that allows access to Chatter feeds from within SharePoint 2010, will be retired and no longer supported. Customers should transition to to an alternative solution prior to the Spring ‘17 release.
NOTE: The Chatter for SharePoint download was previously removed from Setup in the Winter ‘16 release.
* Currently targeted for February 2017; date subject to change.
2. What will happen after the Spring ‘17 release?
After the Spring ‘17 release, support services will no longer be provided for Chatter for SharePoint. Furthermore, existing users trying to access the plugin will receive an error message and the connection from SharePoint to the Salesforce org Chatter feed will no longer function.
3. What is the replacement? What are the key differences between the legacy product and the replacement?
The recommended replacement is SharePointAdept Chatter for SharePoint, which cannot create Files Connect file references. Files Connect allowed SharePoint users to access and search for files from external sources that are connected to the Salesforce service.
Alternatively, customers can choose to build a custom integration with the Chatter public API.
4. What action do customers need to take? What will happen if the action is not taken? Customers using Chatter for SharePoint need to transition to using SharePointAdept Chatter for SharePoint or build a custom integration with the Chatter public API.
If a transition is not made prior to the Spring ‘17 release, existing users trying to access the plugin will receive an error message and the connection from SharePoint to the Salesforce org Chatter feed will not function.
5. Will there be any data loss?
There will be no data loss as all the Chatter data will continue to reside within the Salesforce org.
6. Why are we retiring this product or feature?
Salesforce is focusing its development efforts on other user productivity capabilities to improve the overall user experience.
7. How can Salesforce admins identify their users that are impacted?
Within the Salesforce app:
Salesforce admins can run a custom report to identify the Chatter for SharePoint users by reporting on the “allow users to access Chatter for SharePoint” permission enabled.
Chatter for SharePoint users can be identified by which users are allowed to access the SharePoint pages where the Chatter for SharePoint plugin is deployed.
For details on how this feature is enabled and the user permission granted, see the information below:
Enabling Chatter for SharePoint
Salesforce Setup | Build | Customize | Chatter | Chatter for SharePoint | “Enable Chatter for SharePoint” is enabled (as shown below)
Enabling User Access to Chatter for SharePoint
Salesforce Setup | the “Allow users to access Chatter for SharePoint” user permission is enabled on user profiles or is enabled on permission sets that are linked to users (as shown below).
Deploying Chatter for SharePoint from SharePoint
SharePoint Central Administration | Application Management: “Configure Chatter for SharePoint” is listed as an option.
8. Where can I go to get more information?
For additional questions, open a case with Support via the Help & Training portal.