Grant users access to records based on their profiles using sharing sets.
|Available in: Salesforce Classic|
|Available in: Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, and Developer Editions|
|To grant high-volume portal users access to records:||“Customize Application”|
Starting with Summer ’13, the Customer Portal isn’t available for new organizations. Existing organizations continue to have access to the Customer Portal. If you don’t have a Customer Portal, but want to easily share information with your customers, try Communities.
Existing organizations using Customer Portals may continue to use their Customer Portals or transition to Communities. Contact your Salesforce Account Executive for more information.
A sharing set grants high-volume portal users access to any record that has a lookup field to an account or contact that matches the user’s account or contact.
You can also grant access to records via access mapping in a sharing set, which supports indirect lookups from the user and target record to the account or contact. For example, grant users access to all cases related to an account that’s identified on the users’ contact records.
- From Setup, enter Customer Portal Settings in the Quick Find box, then select Customer Portal Settings.
- In the Sharing Sets related list, click New to create a sharing set, or click Edit next to an existing sharing set.
- In the Sharing Set Edit page, fill in the Label and Sharing Set Name fields. Label is the sharing set label as it appears on the user interface. Sharing Set Name is the unique name used by the API.
- Enter a description.
- Select the profiles of the users to whom you want to provide access.
- Select the objects you want to grant access to.
The Available Objects list excludes:
- Objects with an organization-wide sharing setting of Public Read/Write
- Custom objects that don’t have an account or contact lookup field
- In the Configure Access section, click Set Up or Edit next to an object name to configure access for the selected profiles, or click Del to remove access settings for an object.
Objects with Set Up
in the Action column aren’t configured for high-volume portal user
access. Until you configure an object, high-volume portal users have limited or no access to its records. For more information on access, see About High-Volume Portal Users
- Grant access based on an account or contact lookup:
- Select a value in the User drop-down list to determine the account or contact lookup on the user.
- Select a value in the Target Object field to determine the account or contact lookup on the target object.
For example, to grant access to all cases associated with an account identified on the user’s contact record, select Contact.Account and Account respectively.
Both selected fields must point to either an account or contact. For example, Contact.Account
both point to an account.
- Choose an access level of Read Only or Read/Write. (If the object’s organization-wide sharing setting is Public Read Only, then only Read/Write is available.)
- Click Update, then click Save.
Your settings apply to all of your organization’s Customer Portals or sites.