|Available in: both Salesforce Classic and Lightning Experience|
|Available in: Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, Developer, and Database.com Editions|
Data Loader is a client application for the bulk import or export of data. Use it to insert, update, delete, or export Salesforce records.
When importing data, Data Loader reads, extracts, and loads data from comma separated values (CSV) files or from a database connection. When exporting data, it outputs CSV files.
If commas aren’t appropriate for your locale, use a tab or other delimiter.
You can use Data Loader in two different ways:
- User interface—When you use the user interface, you work interactively to specify the configuration parameters, CSV files used for import and export, and the field mappings that map the field names in your import file with the field names in Salesforce.
- Command line (Windows only)—When you use the command line, you specify the configuration, data sources, mappings, and actions in files. This enables you to set up Data Loader for automated processing.
Data Loader offers the following key features:
- An easy-to-use wizard interface for interactive use
- An alternate command-line interface for automated batch operations (Windows only)
- Support for large files with up to 5 million records
- Drag-and-drop field mapping
- Support for all objects, including custom objects
- Can be used to process data in both Salesforce and Database.com
- Detailed success and error log files in CSV format
- A built-in CSV file viewer
- Support for Windows XP, Windows 7, and Mac OS X
To get started, see the following topics:
In previous versions, Data Loader has been known as “AppExchange Data Loader“ and “Sforce Data Loader.”