If Data Loader fails to import special characters such as ö, ñ, or é, your source data file might not be properly encoded. To ensure the file is properly encoded:
- Make any modifications to your source data file in .xls format.
- In Microsoft® Excel®, save a copy of your file as a Unicode Text file.
- Open the Unicode Text file you just saved with a text editor.
- Click to change the following file settings:
- File name extension—.csv
- Save as type—All Files
- Click Save, and close the file.
Don’t open the file after you have saved the settings or you may revert the encoding changes.
- Import the data using Data Loader as you normally would, and select the newly created .csv file.