|Available in: Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, and Developer Editions|
|To create or change custom fields:||"Customize Application"|
To improve the appearance of text in custom fields, use the Salesforce
HTML editor to format custom fields that were defined with the rich text area
custom field type. The Salesforce
HTML editor provides a WYSIWYG interface, allowing you to perform basic formatting operations. You can:
- Format text as bold, italicized, or underlined
- Create bulleted and numbered lists
- Change paragraph indentation
- Insert hyperlinks to Web pages
- Insert an image
The upgraded editor doesn’t support Internet Explorer version 7 or version 8 in compatibility mode. If you are using these browsers, you will use the older editor.
Some features, such as Salesforce Knowledge or Ideas, let administrators enable extra functions like the ability to embed multimedia content, use drop-down lists, or select colors for text or backgrounds. Make sure that your browser security settings allow you to access these functions. For example, if browser security is set to high in Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 7, <iframe> content does not appear in the frame, drop-down lists are unavailable, and color cannot be selected for backgrounds or text.
Common scenarios for using the HTML editor include:
- Pasting a code sample into a Chatter Answers or Ideas post
- Adding a video to a knowledge article or an Idea Themes post
- Formatting resumes submitted by job candidates to create more readable and professional-looking versions for your users
- Emphasizing key points in a descriptions or comments by setting various font options, such as bold typeface and a larger font size
- Itemizing steps in a numbered or bulleted list to help users better understand a procedure
- Supporting your company's brand identity by specifying the URL of a logo on your website
- Including a link to a related and accessible page of your company's website
Notes on Using the Salesforce HTML Editor
When you use the editor, note the following:
- Because the Salesforce HTML editor provides a WYSIWYG interface only, you don’t edit HTML tags.
- If you copy content from a Web page and paste it into the editor's window, Salesforce automatically removes unsupported tags and preserves the text that was enclosed in unsupported tags as plain text. Salesforce does not notify users when it removes unsupported or potentially malicious HTML.
- The maximum number of characters you can enter in the Salesforce HTML editor window is equal to the field length specified when creating or editing the field. The default is 32,768 characters.
- When clicked, hyperlinks open in a new browser window. The Salesforce HTML editor supports HTTP, HTTPS, and mailto hyperlinks.
- When a record is saved, the Salesforce HTML editor does not validate hyperlinks to Web pages. Be sure to confirm that you are specifying a URL that Salesforce can access.
- To insert an image, click and either select:
Optionally, enter a description that appears when a user hovers over the image. The image must have a URL that Salesforce can access.
- Web Address tab and enter the URL of the image.
- Upload Image tab and select an image from your localhost. You can upload only JPEG, PNG or GIF. The image you select cannot exceed 1 Megabyte. You can't add a hyperlink to an image.
- The Salesforce HTML editor supports all languages that Salesforce Knowledge supports.
- The Salesforce HTML editor is disabled for users who have accessibility mode enabled; it's replaced with a text box.