|This feature is available in Salesforce Classic|
|Available in: All Editions|
|To generate mass mail merge documents:||“Manage Public Documents”|
You can generate mail merge documents using the Extended Mail Merge feature. Extended Mail Merge is available by request only. Contact Salesforce Customer Support if you are interested in this feature.
In addition, your administrator must activate the feature before you can use Extended Mail Merge.
With Extended Mail Merge, you can easily generate mail merge Microsoft® Word documents—such as form letters with matching envelopes and address labels—for multiple records at the same time.
- Click the accounts, contacts, or leads tab. Other kinds of records are not currently supported.
- In the Tools area, click Mass Mail Merge to start the mass mail merge wizard.
- Choose an appropriate list view from the View drop-down list.
- Select the records to include in the mail merge. To select all records currently displayed on the page, select the checkbox in the column header.
- Click Next.
- Select the types of Word documents you’d like to generate. The supported document types are documents, envelopes, and labels.
- Select the Log an activity... checkbox to log the generation of these mail merge documents by adding a completed task on each record.
- Click Next.
- Select the appropriate mail merge templates.
For documents, choose whether to create one Word document that includes all output or a separate Word document for each record.
- Optionally, click Preview Template to review the Word document with merge fields but without your data. Note that although you can edit the Word document that opens, those changes won’t be applied to your current mail merge request. To make a newly revised template available for mail merge, it must be uploaded first.
- Click Finish.
If your request exceeds the maximum size limit for Extended Mail Merge, you’re prompted to select either fewer records or smaller templates.
Salesforce sends you an email when your generated documents are ready. When mail merge documents are:
- Under 3 MB, Salesforce sends them to your email as either Word document (.doc) or Zip file (.zip). attachments. If the attachment size exceeds your organization’s maximum email attachment size, or your administrator has set all mail merge documents to be saved to the Documents tab, Salesforce automatically saves your generated documents to the Documents tab. You’ll receive an email with a link to the document’s location.
- Over 3 MB, Salesforce saves them to your personal documents folder on the Documents tab.
Mail Merge Considerations
Extended Mail Merge supports the following additional environments: the Mozilla Firefox Web browser and the Apple Mac OS. Furthermore, it doesn’t require the installation of an ActiveX control.
Extended Mail Merge supports Microsoft Word 2007.
- Extended Mail Merge does not support templates saved in .docx or .dotx file formats.
- Mail merge documents give you access only to the fields that are accessible to you via your page layout and field-level security settings.
- Extended mail merge doesn’t support formatting from rich text area fields.
- Using mail merge from a record detail page automatically triggers standard workflow and validation rules for that record. Using Extended Mail Merge, however, doesn’t trigger those rules.
- With Extended Mail Merge, a mail merge operation can’t exceed the following limits:
- 1,000 records
- The selected mail merge template(s) total size can’t be larger than 1 MB.
- For mass mail merges, the number of selected records multiplied by the combined sizes of the selected mail merge templates can’t be larger than 50 MB.
- When you preview a mail merge document, you see only the template. The preview doesn’t populate merge fields with your data because there’s no record detail available to the preview template.