Salesforce Compatibility Considerations for Salesforce Connect—All Adapters | Salesforce
Some Salesforce features and functionality have special behaviors or aren’t available for Salesforce Connect external objects.
|Available in: both Salesforce Classic and Lightning Experience|
|Available in: Developer Edition|
Available for an extra cost in: Enterprise, Performance, and Unlimited Editions
The following features aren’t available for external objects.
- Apex sharing reasons
- Apex triggers
- Approval processes
- Field history tracking
- Flows (Visual Workflow)
- Merge fields
- Processes (Process Builder)
- Record-level security (sharing)
- Record types
- Schema Builder
- Validation rules
- Workflow rules
- Formulas and roll-up summary fields can’t reference fields on external objects.
The following custom field types aren’t available for external objects.
- Master-detail relationship
- Picklist (multi-select)
- Roll-up summary
- Text (encrypted)
- Text Area (rich)
- The following behavior applies to fields on external objects.
- Default field values aren’t available for custom fields on external objects.
- External object field values are displayed without leading and trailing spaces. Keep this behavior in mind when you filter by a field that contains leading or trailing spaces.
For example, include the leading and trailing spaces in the following SOQL query to match the values that are stored in the external system. However, the spaces aren’t displayed in the query results.
SELECT FirstName__c FROM Buyers__x WHERE FirstName__c = ' Test '
- When a user or the Force.com platform edits a custom field on an external object record, leading and trailing spaces are removed from the field value.
- For text fields on external objects, make sure that the specified length is large enough to contain the external values. If the value from an external system doesn’t fit within the length of the associated text field on the external object, the value is truncated in your Salesforce org. To avoid truncated text field values, increase the length for the text field on the external object.
- For number fields on external objects, ensure that the specified length can contain all digits to the left of the decimal point in external values. If the numeric value from an external system doesn’t fit within the length of the associated number field on the external object, the value is blank in your Salesforce org. If you notice blank numeric field values, adjust Length and Decimal Places for the number field on the external object to accommodate more digits to the left of the decimal point. If the digits to the right of the decimal point in the external values don’t fit within the specified decimal places, the value is truncated.
- In change sets, external objects are included in the custom object component.
- In the Metadata API, external objects are represented by the CustomObject metadata type.
Also review the considerations for each Salesforce Connect adapter that you use.