|Available in: Salesforce Classic|
|Chatter Answers is available in: Enterprise, Developer, Performance, and Unlimited Editions.|
Chatter Answers is scheduled for retirement in all Salesforce orgs as of Winter ’18 release. For more information, see Chatter Answers to Retire in Winter ’18. Starting with Summer ’16, Chatter Answers isn’t available in new orgs. Instead, you can use Chatter Questions, a Q&A feature that’s seamlessly integrated into Chatter. With Chatter Questions, users can ask questions and find answers without ever needing to leave Chatter. Existing orgs will continue to have access to Chatter Answers if it was enabled before the Summer ’16 release from now until Winter ’18.
Because Chatter Answers integrates several features with the Customer Portal, managing Chatter Answers users is similar to managing Customer Portal users. Use the following to manage the data and functions that are accessible to Chatter Answers users:
- Profiles, permissions, and access settings determine a user’s permission to perform different functions, such as adding comments to a case.
- User licenses define which profiles and permission sets are available to a user, such as the High Volume Customer Portal (Service Cloud Portal User) or Customer Portal Manager Custom license.
- Feature licenses entitle a user to additional Salesforce features, such as Chatter Answers.
- Field-level security defines which fields users can access, such as fields on Salesforce Knowledge articles.
- Sharing sets let you selectively grant record access to defined groups of high-volume portal users.
Chatter Answers excludes some features typically available to Customer Portal users, such as:
- Page layouts
- Custom objects
- Delegated external user administration
- Customer Portal role hierarchy (available, but not used)
- Customer Portal sharing rules, except for high-volume portal users
Chatter Answers users can only access the following records from your zone:
- Replies (answers)
- Salesforce Knowledge articles
Chatter Answers is designed to support one user language for each zone that you create. When you enable Chatter Answers, the Visualforce pages automatically added to your organization inherit your organization’s default language. However, you can change the language attribute on each Visualforce page. Users who self-register for your zone inherit your organization’s default language. Guest users view your zone in the language specified in the Visualforce pages, no matter the language chosen for their browsers.
- Chatter Answers users can’t change their language, timezone, or locale settings.
- Portal users must have the Chatter Answers User feature license to use Chatter Answers. This feature license is automatically assigned to high-volume portal users who self-register forChatter Answers. You can manually assign the license to users who don’t self-register by editing a user and clicking Chatter Answers User.
- Authenticated Website User profiles don't have access to Chatter Answers.
Internal users with permission to see Chatter Answers can see all zones in the Q&A tab in their organization. If internal users sign in to a community, they see only those zones associated with that community.