|Available in: both Salesforce Classic and Lightning Experience|
|Available in: All Editions|
|To view objects in Schema Builder:||"Customize Application"|
From Setup, enter Schema Builder in the Quick Find box, then select Schema Builder.
When working with Schema Builder:
- Click an object and move it to any space on the canvas. Schema Builder saves the layout of your schema any time you move an object.
- Click Auto-Layout to sort the layout of the objects in your schema.
When you click Auto-Layout
, you can’t undo it.
- Click View Options to:
- Display Element Names if you prefer system names, or Display Element Labels if you prefer text values.
- Show/Hide Relationships
- Show/Hide Legend
- The Elements tab lets you drag and drop new custom objects and fields onto the canvas.
- The Objects tab lets you select objects to display on the canvas.
- Click the drop-down list in the sidebar to filter your list of objects:
- All Objects
- Selected Objects
- Standard Objects
- Custom Objects
- System Objects
Objects created outside of Schema Builder, such as through an app or the API, don’t automatically display on the canvas. Select the checkbox for the object created outside Schema Builder to display it on the canvas.
- To search for an object, type its name in the Quick Find box.
- Hover over an object in your list of objects and click to find it on the canvas.
- Hover over relationship lines to show relationship details such as lookup and master-detail relationships. Click the name of the object to find it on the canvas. You can hide relationships if your schema is taking too long to load.
- To view the details of a field in a new window, right-click the element name or label and select View Field in New Window.
- To edit properties of a custom field, right-click the element name or label and select Edit Field Properties.
- To manage permissions of a custom field, click the element name or label and select Manage Field Permissions. Use the dialog box that appears to manage the field’s visibility and writeability for all standard and custom profiles. By default, the field-level security for custom fields is set to visible and editable for internal profiles—those not cloned from Partner User or Customer Portal Manager. Fields that are not normally editable, such as formulas and roll-up summary fields, are visible and read only.
- Click to:
- Hide Object on Canvas
- View Object detail in a new window
- View Page Layouts detail in a new window
- For objects with many fields (Lead or Campaign, for example), click Show More Fields to display all the fields.
- To zoom in, click . To zoom out, click .
You can’t save the level of zoom when closing Schema Builder.
- To collapse the sidebar, click . To expand it, click .
- The map in the lower right corner shows the overall layout of your objects on the canvas. Click the map to navigate the layout of your objects. To pan across the schema layout while zoomed in, click and hold the canvas while moving the mouse.
- To close the Schema Builder and save the layout of your objects, click Close.
If your schema contains many objects and fields, loading can take a long time. Click Hide Relationships
to improve Schema Builder performance.