This solution outlines the two-step process for converting a standard Account and Contact to a Person Account (i.e., Client, Individual, etc.), including the data attributes required for conversion to a Person Account.
It is assumed that the environment has been enabled and configured for Client Management, including the creation of at least one Person Account record type. It is also assumed that the administrator performing the conversion has appropriate working knowledge of a data migration tool (i.e. Data Loader, etc) that accesses the current API level of the organization.
This document does not provide guidance on Client Management configuration or the process of data preparation prior to conversion, since each customers requirements and data are different. Additionally, this document does not provide guidance on pre- or post-conversion testing, change management, training, and other deployment activities. However, it is strongly recommended that the conversion process be tested in the customers Sandbox environment prior to performing the conversion in the customers Production environment.
1. Manipulate the data such that the following conditions are met:
a. For each intended Person Account, one (and only one) Contact record exists under the Account record.
b. The Account and Contact have the same record owner.
c. The Account and Contact have the same currency values (if applicable).
d. The Parent Account field on the Account and the Reports To field of the Contact are both blank.
e. The Account is not set as the Parent Account of any other Account records.
f. The Contact is not set as the Reports To of any other Contact records.
g. The Account and Contact have not been enabled as Partner/Customer for Portal/Community.
2. Using the data migration tool of your choice (i.e. something like the Data Loader), change the record type of the target Account to the desired Person Account record type. The detailed steps are listed here. *Please note that this cannot be done with Workbench, as it will return the error: "Cannot Specify Any Additional Fields When Marrying Or Separating A Person-Account INVALID_FIELD_FOR_INSERT_UPDATE"
1. The Account Name field will be permanently overwritten by the First Name and Last Name of the Contact record, but not the Contacts Salutation. If the original Account Name and Salutation are required, this information should be mapped to custom fields prior to conversion.
2. For any Account and Contact fields that have the same field label, only the original Account fields are available to be added to the Person Account page layout. These fields include Phone, Fax, Description, Created By info, Last Modified info, and Last Activity info. The data in these fields could be mapped to custom fields and then exposed on the Person Account page layout.
3. Refer to following help documentation for further information:
a. What is a Person Account?
b. Implementing Person Accounts