|When making an org-wide sharing change, it's always best to plan and prepare prior to making these changes. The specific changes to do this for are:
For all customers, we recommend that the following are done:
- Org-Wide Default change (i.e. Changing default access levels from Private to Public Read/Write).
- Large-scale Role Hierarchy modifications.
- Creation of multiple sharing rules.
- Large-scale Public Groups maintenance (adding/removing members, deleting groups, etc).
For our enterprise customers with very-large organizations, we recommend the following (in addition to the above):
- Test the change in a full data Sandbox to ensure the change behaves as expected.
- Plan a maintenance window during off-peak hours (w/ low user activity), such as at night, a weekend, or holiday.
- Plan maintenance windows during a weekend, holiday, or period of extended low user activity.
- Log a Case with salesforce.com Support to evaluate the changes that are planned to understand overall impact to your org and instance. This may involve seeking an escalation to the Tier3 team.
- Review the following white papers for information on sharing related features and design concepts that can assist in streamlining your maintenance activities:
- Designing Record Access for Enterprise Scale
- Record-Level Access: Under the Hood